Connect with us

News

Tinubu lauded for removing Kyari, Akinyelure, NNPC board

Published

on

Abuja, April 3, 2025 – Economist Prof. Evans Osabuohien has commended President Bola Tinubu for dismissing the Chairman and Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, describing the move as a step toward greater transparency in the petroleum sector.

Osabuohien, who heads the Economics Department at Covenant University, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday that the removal of Pius Akinyelure, the company’s Chairman, and Mele Kyari, its GCEO, was a welcome development.

“The sacking of the NNPC board was the right step in the right direction,” he stated, emphasizing that it could help curb sharp practices in the industry.

However, he cautioned that the action should not be an isolated measure. “There is the need for a holistic probe of the sector,” he added.

Osabuohien also highlighted NNPC’s financial struggles since it transitioned into a private company two years ago, noting that the organization had been operating at a loss. He proposed that the government restructure NNPC into a public liability company with a board of directors accountable to the public.

“This will make the sector more vibrant, contribute positively to the economy, and create employment opportunities,” he said.

The economist further urged the government to address the ongoing conflict between NNPC and the Dangote Group to ensure stability in the sector.

On Tuesday, presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga confirmed in a statement that President Tinubu had replaced Akinyelure and Kyari with Ahmadu Kida and Bayo Ojulari, along with the removal of all other board members.

News

Rivers Sole Administrator cancels all pending procurements, orders refund of tender fees

Published

on

Port Harcourt, Nigeria – The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (rtd.), has annulled all ongoing procurement and tender processes initiated by the suspended administration of Sir Siminialayi Fubara.

In a public announcement issued on Thursday, the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Ibibia Worika, stated that all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) involved in procurement activities in 2025 must refund any fees already collected from contractors.

Decision Rooted in Legal Ruling

The directive follows a recent Supreme Court judgment that upheld the Appeal Court’s ruling in Suit No. CA/ABJ/CV/133/2024. The court’s decision highlighted the absence of a valid Appropriation Law for the fiscal year, prompting the cancellation of all related financial commitments.

The statement read: “In adherence to the Supreme Court judgment upholding the Appeal Court ruling in Suit No. CA/ABJ/CV/133/2024, and in the absence of an Appropriation Law, the Sole Administrator, Vice Admiral (rtd.) Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, CFR, wishes to notify the general public that all procurement and tender processes carried out by Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) during the period are hereby cancelled.”

Immediate Refund of Fees Ordered

All MDAs that had conducted tender processes for projects were instructed to “refund such tender fees to the respective contractors IMMEDIATELY.” The directive will remain in effect until a state spending plan is approved.

The decision is aimed at restoring fiscal order in Rivers State and ensuring compliance with financial and legal regulations.

Continue Reading

News

PDP will reclaim South-East in 2027 – Wabara

Published

on

Former Senate President and Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees, Senator Adolphus Wabara, has expressed confidence that the party will reclaim the South-East in the 2027 general elections.

Wabara made this assertion while reacting to the return of Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, the 2023 Labour Party (LP) governorship candidate in Enugu State, to the PDP. He described Edeoga’s return as a significant step towards rebuilding the party’s dominance in the region.

“The return of Edeoga is a bold step, and I commend him for it. This is a sign that the PDP is regaining strength in the South-East,” Wabara said in an interview with Vanguard.

He acknowledged that the PDP had lost control of some South-East states in the 2023 elections but expressed optimism that the party was regaining lost ground, with many former members returning.

Gov. Mbah’s Performance Strengthens PDP’s Prospects

Wabara praised Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State, attributing his developmental achievements to the weakening opposition in the state.

“Governor Mbah has taken governance to a higher level, setting the pace in various areas. When a leader shows such capacity, the reasonable thing for the opposition to do is to support him,” he stated.

As the only PDP governor in the South-East, Mbah’s leadership, Wabara noted, has enhanced the party’s appeal in the region.

PDP Positions for 2027 Elections

Wabara also commended PDP lawmakers at both the national and state levels for their efforts in repositioning the party. He urged aggrieved members who defected after the 2023 elections to return and help strengthen the party ahead of 2027.

“Democracy is under siege in Nigeria, but the PDP remains the credible alternative for 2027. That is why we are focused on strengthening the party before the next elections,” he added.

The former Senate President maintained that Nigerians are looking to the PDP for leadership, and the party is working tirelessly to restore its dominance in national politics.

Continue Reading

News

Shettima departs for Dakar to attend Senegal’s 65th Independence

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima has left Abuja for Dakar, Senegal, where he will represent President Bola Tinubu at the country’s 65th Independence Day celebrations.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications in the Office of the Vice President, Mr. Stanley Nkwocha, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

Senegal marks its Independence Day annually on April 4, celebrating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960. The event is characterized by parades, ceremonies, and cultural displays that highlight national pride.

This year’s celebrations will take place at the Place de la Nation in Dakar, with Senegalese President Bassirou Faye hosting Vice President Shettima alongside other distinguished guests from Africa and beyond.

According to Nkwocha, Shettima’s participation follows an invitation extended to President Tinubu by President Faye, reflecting the strong diplomatic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.

The vice president is expected to return to Nigeria on Friday after the one-day event.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.